You might know her better as @MAMAWATTERS from Instagram, but Amanda Watters of HOMESONG BLOG recently posted a reflection themed piece where she encouraged readers to answer the questions as a way of reevaluating and better understanding themselves and their little world. I couldn’t pass it up, and thought (even if you already follow her or have done something similar) it might be interesting to share and connect on.
Without any more blathering on, here are my answers;
- At the start of this year, I felt afraid of CHANGE . The three main ways that I habitually react to fear are: SHUTDOWN, DENIAL, OR – SURPRISINGLY – I FACE IT HEAD ON .
- One habit I am going to focus on cultivating for the next 30 days is DRINKING MORE WATER. I will omit DRINKING MORE THAN ONE CUP OF COFFEE to create space for this. The main thing I hope to experience as a result of this is QUITE SIMPLY, A HEALTHIER AND LESS TOXIN-FILLED SELF .
- These three things brought me the greatest sense of ease this year: AN HONEST AND OPEN RELATIONSHIP WITH A PERFECT PARTNER, HAVING THE KIDS WITH ME FULL TIME AND KNOWING THAT THEY WERE SAFER AND HAPPIER AND HEALTHIER FOR IT, LETTING GO OF SOCIAL MEDIA . Why did these specific things bring me a sense of calm and comfort? How can I incorporate them more consistently into my everyday routine? THESE WERE LARGE CHANGES FOR MYSELF AND MY FAMILY BUT AT THEIR ROOT IT’S EASY TO SEE THE SIMPLE THEME. FOCUS ON AUTHENTIC, HONEST AND SAFE RELATIONSHIPS. STAYING AWAY FROM THINGS THAT CAUSE UNNECESSARY PAIN AND DISTANCING YOURSELF FROM NEGATIVE INFLUENCE IS IMPORTANT TO MAINTAIN TRUE HAPPINESS.
- What inspires me? What drains me? I’M INSPIRED BY SO MANY THINGS. OFTEN TIMES I’M INSPIRED BY POETRY, MY CHILDREN AND MY HONEY-LOVE’S UN ENDING CREATIVITY. I TRULY FEEL SURROUNDED BY A WEALTH OF ART AND PASSION. WHAT DRAINS ME? THE UNREST THAT COMES WITH WANTING A CLEANER HOUSE OR A MORE EFFECTIVE SCHEDULE. I’M CONSTANTLY NESTING IN ONE FORM OR ANOTHER (WHICH I ENJOY) BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY I FIND MYSELF STILL NOT QUITE SATISFIED.
- I will omit my usual time wasters of GAME APPS ON MY PHONE and READING BLOGS OR MAGAZINES THAT MAKE ME FEEL NEGATIVELY so I can make room for DEEPER STUDYING FOR SCHOOL and CREATIVE OUTLETS.
- When I feel anxious and ungrounded, I usually feel it in my body the most in STOMACH AND HEAD, I FIND MYSELF PHYSICALLY ILL. I ALSO FEEL ANXIOUS, EMOTIONALLY . These three things most often lead to this feeling of discomfort UNCERTAINTY, INSECURITY, BODY IMAGE .
- When I think back on my life to the times when I felt most content and rested, the following memories comes to mind: TOO PERSONAL TO SHARE SO PUBLICLY, I WILL JUST SAY THAT THEY INVOLVE MY DARLING BABIES AND MY HONEY-LOVE… EVERY. SINGLE. TIME .
- How did I treat my body this past year? What simple things can I do or change to feel healthier this year? List three things and discuss why I chose them. I WASN’T ALWAYS KIND TO MY BODY AND SEVERAL TIMES I WAS LAZY AND HATEFUL TO MY BODY. SURE, I HAD A LOT OF STRESSFUL THINGS HAPPENING BUT I MADE IT SO MUCH WORSE BY LETTING MY HEALTH GO. I CAN DO LOTS OF THINGS TO HELP MYSELF AND WILL BE… LIKE, MORE WATER! COME ON, THAT’S OBVIOUS. 10,000 STEPS A DAY. IT’S PROVEN TO BE GREAT FOR YOUR HEART AND BODY AND EVEN YOUR MIND. WITH THE HELP OF MY FITBIT FLEX2 I’M GONNA CRUSH THAT GOAL. NO RED MEAT! I DID A RESEARCH PAPER ON DIFFERENT DIETS AND I CANNOT GET AWAY FROM THE TRUTH. RED MEAT IS HARD ON YOUR BODY. I KNOW I CAN FEEL THAT WEIGHT OF IT AND IT’S TIME TO LET IT GO.
- I experienced some dark nights of the soul when MONEY WAS TIGHT and also when THINGS IN MY LIFE, REGARDING MY CHILDREN GOT VERY “REAL”. The light and lessons I received from embracing those experiences fully were: CHANGE IS GOOD, BUT MORE SO, IT’S NECESSARY. NOT KNOWING WHAT WILL HAPPEN BUT EDUCATING YOURSELF ON HOW TO PROTECT THOSE YOU LOVE AS WELL AS YOURSELF AND MAKING LIFE GOOD FOR THE INNOCENTS IS ALL THAT REALLY MATTERS. BEING A GOOD MOM IS IMPORTANT, BUT BEING A STRONG AND BRAVE AND SACRIFICING MOM IS ESSENTIAL. THERE IS NOTHING TO REGRET WHEN YOU HAVE DOVE STRAIGHT IN, SCARED AS HELL, BUT WILLING TO FIGHT. MONEY IS JUST MONEY. I’VE NEVER CARED SO MUCH FOR SPENDING IT AND IVE NEVER HAD A FIGHT ABOUT MONEY, BUT WHEN SOMEONE OFFERS YOU HELP – AND YOU NEED THE HELP – SOMETIMES IT’S OKAY TO ACCEPT IT. NOT EVERYTHING COMES WITH A PRICE AND HELP FROM FAMILY IS A SIGN OF THE LOVE THAT EXISTS. YOU ARE NOT A BURDEN, YOU ARE LOVED.
- The vision for myself and my life in this next year that’s becoming clear to me now is: A QUIET LIFE. I KNOW I KEEP SAYING IT BUT I GENUINELY WANT IT. NO DRAMA, JUST LOVE AND CREATIVITY AND HONESTY. THAT IS A LIFE AND A SELF THAT I CAN BE AT PEACE WITH. This might be the dream I have for my soul that I still want to bring into the world, or this may be one word I feel in my gut. Lean into whatever it is I am feeling.
Even if you don’t share yours the way that I have, I think it’s good to ask yourself the same questions… Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below.